WHO IS ANNE SLAGEL?
- I am a fun loving gal born in the “show me” state of Missouri, but my grandparents and ancestors were all native Texans, and as they say, “I got here as soon as I could!”
- I sang “live” on the radio at age 4 1/2 with a big silver microphone in my face while standing on an upside down milk crate. So you could say that music is in my soul. My mother taught me to sing the good ole songs—all 4 verses and chorus. And I truly believe that singing a favorite song at the top of your voice can lift your spirits!
- I love cooking and creating a beautiful presentation, then taking a picture and sharing it with friends. Yes…I am one of those people.
- For fun, I like doing lunches with girlfriends and shopping. I call it “research.”
- My husband, Gary, and I are best friends who love serving our community and watching it grow. He was the mayor of Richardson, TX for many years. We enjoy attending civic functions, festivals and the symphony with friends.
- Our combined families are very important to us. While being a parent is a blessing, being a grandparent is the most fun! Play dates, hugs and kisses, shopping and spoiling them, then sending them home on a sugar high…well, I guess that makes us really good (and typical) grandparents!
- One of the most influential people in my life was my amazing mother, who had a serious visual challenge, but she never let it interfere with her life and her goals. She helped to change the laws to better the lives of the blind. Her life made a difference. She was such an inspiration to me.
- In my past, my passion was creating women’s conferences and being a motivational speaker. I loved planning and coordinating all the details, but mostly, I loved making new friends and watching them grow as a result of the conferences.
- After receiving my doctorate degree, I started pursuing my dream of becoming a chaplain. I believe you should always follow your dreams. You can do it. One of my favorite quotes is “If you can dream it, you can achieve it.” Another quote I like is “Age is only a number.” Your soul is eternal and doesn’t age. You are never too old to reach your goals.
- Some of the best advice I’ve ever been given—“You can’t get there from here.” Standing still gets you nowhere. You have to take action to achieve your goals and dreams. So I did!
- I have always had a love for Christ, and have lived my life in pursuit of encouraging others—hence, my nickname, “the Encourager” or, as my friends call me, “the Anne-courager!”